Monday, January 12, 2009

Black Flag - 1985 - The Process of Weeding Out [EP]


A crazy EP, basically created with a general intention of stretching the notions of what could and couldn't be considered hardcore punk. Before I go any further I should mention that the entire thing is instrumental so if that turns anyone off, this is your moment to run in fear (but seriously, Henry Rollins doesn't make a single appearance). For those who are still with us, check it out. It's wierder than a lot of Black Flag's other stuff, but it's a good listen. Greg Ginn's guitar is crazy as ever, harmolodic as always. I think it's cool because they clearly know they're pushing past true "hardcore punk" into new territory. One could seriously argue whether or not this is proto-post-hardcore or some other ridiculous term for hours, but I'm not gonna get into that (although I will admit I'm generally a huge proponent of genre categorization and whatnot, here it's just not important). It's Black Flag. It's a significant departure, but it's still Black Flag and it's very listenable.

download: Black Flag - 1985 - The Process of Weeding Out [EP].zip

1 comment:

  1. I OWN THIS, BUT I CANT HONESTLY SAY THAT IVE EVER LISTENED TO THIS ALBUM. I MEAN, IVE HEARD THE ENTIRE ALBUM, BUT I HAVE NEVER REALLY LISTENED TO IT. HOWEVER I ALWAYS LIKED THE DOUBLE MEANING OF THE TITLE- SMOKING NUGS/ SIFTING OUT THE PEOPLE THAT BLACK FLAG DIDNT THINK UNDERSTOOD WHAT THEY WERE ABOUT.

    ReplyDelete